Using checkbook software allows you to maintain a complete picture of personal finances in a single place, as opposed to being dispersed in a stack of receipts and envelopes. Keeping a hard copy of your checks is still a good idea in case of software issues.
Features To Consider In Personal Finance Software
Checkbook software should be capable of transaction entry which is the most basic function. Another feature that is useful is reconciling posted items versus outstanding items as their time to synchronize is not uniform. For someone who has multiple accounts at the same or different banks, checkbook software should offer the ability to track activity across accounts. Anyone knows that having many entries in the checkbook register makes it hard to find particular items, but checkbook software should make this search ability very easy. Finally, one should be able to print statements easily from checkbook software for keeping physical copies.
Sample Financial Software
There are several types of checkbook software available. Cursory examination shows that there are free as well as low priced versions. A few are on the expensive side but have more features. We list a few examples of the types of checkbook software that are available, the cost as well as a brief description of their functions.
- Checkbook Keeper 1, cost: $5, notes: in the format of a spreadsheet and is very easy to use.
- Desktop Budget Lite 2.0, cost: free, notes: tracks all financial accounting.
- MiniApps 5.06, cost: free, notes: has 41 applications to do just about everything banking related.
- Personal Finance Center 1.0.3, cost: free, notes: dedicated to keeping your checkbook balanced.
- Budget 4.0.1, cost: $29.95, cost: most expensive software reviewed here and keeps track of your checkbook.
- Checkbook 2.08.30, cost: $14.95, notes: a low-priced alternative that reconciles all accounts and checkbook.
- My Checkbook 2.3.1, cost: $19.95, notes: balances accounts and checkbook; even alerts by e-mail when a bill is due.
- Just Checking 3.14, cost: $14.95, notes: tracks all accounts ensuring they all are balanced.
- Simply Checking 90.20.80, cost: $14.99, notes: easy to use, tracks and checks all accounts and even reconciles accounts.
- Checkbook 4.09, cost: $19.95, notes: reconciles accounts and checkbook.
- My Checkbook, cost: $19.95, tracks accounts and offers printing of statements.
- My Checkbook for Mac, cost: $19.95, our only Mac-specific software balances your checkbook.
The checkbook calculator
People who are on the go constantly may wish to consider a checkbook calculator. It is a device resembling a calculator that can be carried around to record transactions immediately after. Most checkbook software needs a computer or laptop, which in the best case scenario involves sitting down somewhere and powering up the computer from slumber. A checkbook calculator is instant-on and ready to accept input about your bank transactions. It can also perform basic calculator functions such as adding and subtracting.
We discuss on our site also the possibility of using software to produce printable checks. The advantage over getting them from check ordering companies is lower costs as well as more control over timing of supplies. If you run out, just fire up the printer to print out a new batch.
All of the checkbook software listed here offer easy-to-fill-in blank checkbook register forms. All of these also balance your checkbook, although not all uniformly print issued checks and statements for hardcopy storage. Some software also offer a complete tracking system for all your accounts, including checking, credit card and savings. These programs offer the ability to reconcile accounts at the same time ensuring no nasty surprises at the end of the fiscal month.
Checkbook register is an accounting device that keeps track of incoming and outgoing funds for a personal account.